Friends: I am sharing the whole text of this email from NEFLIN almost verbatim.
Northeast Florida Library Information Network (NEFLIN) and four other Florida multitype library cooperatives (MLCs) will not receive state funding for the upcoming fiscal year which begins October 1, 2012. Governor Scott vetoed state funding for the MLCs on April 17, 2012 (state budget line 3162A).
Statewide this $1.5M allocation supported the five MLCs, each serving part of the state. The vetoed amount is approximately 45% of NEFLIN's annual budget.
This veto came as a surprise because there had been no indications that the Governor had any concerns with the funding or how it was used.
The MLC grant program is established in law (F.S. 257.40 - 43), and has been continuously funded since 1993.
Sound fiscal planning over the past years by the NEFLIN Board will allow NEFLIN to continue to be a vital organization that supports our membership.
What's the bottom line? There is nothing we can do about restoring the money in this year's budget. What we can do is influence next year's budget actions.
This is where you come in.
(In order of preference) Please write a personalized letter to the Governor, or call his office, or send e-mail.
Let him know that NEFLIN plays an important role in the provision of library services to Floridians and they can't survive long term without this funding. We need Governor Scott to understand this and recommend funding in his 2013-14 budget proposal.
Office of Governor Rick Scott
State of Florida
400 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001
Link to e-version of this message and related content: http://www.neflin.org/veto
2233 Park Avenue #402
Orange Park, FL. 32073
Blah, Blah, Blah Blog
Free Library Webinars
Addendum: Florida needs Multitype Library Cooperatives (MLCs)
- Library Books Are Moved Around the State Cheaply - MLCs coordinate Florida’s statewide library delivery service that moves over 435,000 library items annually. Savings over U.S. Mail - $750,000!
- Floridians Are Served by Well Trained Library Staff - MLCs train over 11,000 library staff each year, primarily to help people use computers. Market value - $1.4 million!
- Floridians Receive Books & Materials from All Over the State - MLCs help connect libraries through statewide interlibrary loan that shares more than 300,000 library items each year! - Value of loans – $7.5 million!
- Florida Library Jobs & Jobs in Florida Libraries – These web sites connect Florida libraries with jobs with job seekers. Employers use the sites to post positions. Job seekers use them to post resumes and search for positions. In 2010-2011, 224 position postings generated 446,425 searches by job seekers.
- Reciprocal Borrowing Lets Floridians Check Out Books in Other Communities – MLCs support agreements allowing residents to use libraries in other communities without charge. Libraries in the TBLC area alone lend over 500,000 items. Value of TBLC sharing - $12.5 million!
- Floridians Can Find Materials in All Florida Libraries – MLCs help libraries add their titles to the Florida Catalog’s 20 million items for Floridians to find and borrow.
- Floridians of All Ages Can Use the Florida Electronic Library 24/7 - MLCs partner with the State Library & Archives of Florida promoting the FEL.
Thank You for your Support!
SWFLN – Southwest Florida Library Network
SEFLIN – Southeast Florida Library Information Network
NEFLIN – Northeast Florida Library Information Network
PLAN – Panhandle Library Access Network
TBLC – Tampa Bay Library Consortium