Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Don't blame it on the turkey

Yeah, maybe this doesn't exactly seem like a library-related post, but I'm working in a library...well, let's say "present" in a library at the moment, and I can't seem to get back in gear.

Monday was hell. People out, both planned and unplanned. The new library associate NOT on the roster for the two-day training for new City employees...but then, we needed him, so maybe that wasn't so bad....

Oh, well....

Anyway, I was going to blame my sluggishness and un-customer servicey attitude on all the turkey and leftover turkey and leftover leftover turkey, but then I found this:

Large Female White Turkey (Scott Bauer, USDA)
L-Tryptophan and Carbohydrates

Tryptophan is found in turkey and several other foods (wikipedia public domain)L-tryptophan may be found in turkey and other dietary proteins, but it's actually a carbohydrate-rich (as opposed to protein-rich) meal that increases the level of this amino acid in the brain and leads to serotonin synthesis. Carbohydrates stimulate the pancreas to secrete insulin. When this occurs, some amino acids that compete with tryptophan leave the bloodstream and enter muscle cells. This causes an increase in the relative concentration of tryptophan in the bloodstream. Serotonin is synthesized and you feel that familiar sleepy feeling.
Sooo...I can't blame it on the turkey.

I know, I'll blame it on the customers.

>:-[

No comments: